Salisbury FC overcame a slow start to breeze into the next round of the Hospital Cup with a 6-1 win over Amesbury Town at the Ray Mac.

Highlights of the match are available in the posted video. To order a copy of the full match video, please visit our Online Store (click here for the direct link). 

Southern Football League Division One promotion chasers Salisbury started slower than their one division lower league opponents but eventually proved too strong for the Wessex Premier side.

Amesbury, had the first chance just three minutes into the game when Kieran Stephens passed to Craig Wheeler but he fired over after a neat turn.

Four minutes later Salisbury forced their first opening as Samuel Roberts played it to Taurean Roberts who shot over on the turn.

Fifteen minutes into the game Amesbury’s Paul Coventry had a great chance when Adam Flint sloppily gave away possession but his shot was tipped away by Nathan Ball.

Shortly afterwards Coventry had another chance firing a powerful strike straight at goalkeeper Ball.

Ben Cook, who was at heart of Amesbury creativity again set up Cameron Roach but he could only drag his shot wide.

Roach then played it to Luke Greenway following a good one-two but he could only fire at Ball. Before, on the half an hour mark, Cook won the ball before playing in Coventry who blazed a rushed shot over the bar.

Amesbury were left to rue these chances as Salisbury took the lead in thirty second minute.

Jesse Waller-Lassen crossed in a great delivery from a free kick wide right, which was met by a powerful header by Claudio Herbert who directed it across 'keeper Michael Weatherall.

Amesbury nearly responded straight away as Cook again set up a chance for Coventry who cut in and fired his shot wide.

However, Salisbury’s second came just three minutes after their first when Waller-Lassen played Franklyn Clarke through the middle who finished composedly with the outside of his right foot.

The quick goals were a momentum changer as they started to create more chances towards the end of the first half.

Roberts had a great chance to extend Salisbury’s lead before half time, when a Christopher Onofriou shot rebounded to him eight yards out but dragged his shot agonisingly past the post.

Ten minutes into the second half, Amesbury Captain Craig Wheeler had to come off through injury, being replaced by Connor Palmer.

In the fifty eighth minute, Amesbury got back into the game through a well worked goal as Roach played a ball out wide to Stephens who slotted home in off the post.

However, Salisbury responded straight away as Palmer gave away possession and Waller-Lassen ran through wide on the left and, with the outside of his right foot, put a lob beyond Weatherall.

It was his first goal for Salisbury following a dual signing with Team Solent, though manager Steve Claridge indicated he believed he may have been attempting a cross, Waller-Lassen and others will argue it was certainly an ingenious finish.

In the seventy eighth minute, Waller-Lassen then took the ball around counterpart Max Elward, slotting it into Clarke who finished for the second of his night to put the game beyond any doubt at 4-1.

Two minutes later Waller-Lassen again was at the heart of the attack, as he drove through the middle playing it to George Colsen, who had come on for Samuel Roberts twelve minutes previously, to add a fifth for Salisbury.

Colson, made another impact in the eighty eighth when he split Amesbury’s defence with a lovely ball to Waller-Lassen who capped his man of the match performance with his second of the night.

Salisbury will now turn their attention to Saturday’s away game against Mangotsfield United as they look to build momentum going into the end of season play–offs.

13th April 2017 - Kaine Petty (words); Alex Barnes, Rachel Richardson (video)