Match report courtesy of Bashley FC

Bashley’s spirited performance was dampened by a series of defensive errors that resulted in a slightly exaggerated win margin for Fareham Town in what had been a closely fought game. 

Bashley, lacking a recognised striker through injury and without the services of influential suspended captain Brad Morris, started in fine style and were a goal up in seven minutes. 

Slick approach work by Hugh Dathan sent Conor Whiteley on his way and his precise defence splitting pass let in Rae’mur Henry who drove forward before comprehensively beating the advancing Luke Douglas in the Fareham goal. 

The resulting euphoria was quickly doused when a pass from the right split a moribund Bash defence to be gratefully turned in by an unmarked Lee McCombie lurking at the far post. Ten minutes later the Creeksiders repeated the process when a diverted shot, claimed by Josh Holmes, left Mike Edgar in the Bash goal little chance. 

Despite the score it was Bashley that dominated the half but found luck not to be on their side. Henry hit the post with the goalkeeper beaten and a fine passing move originated by Dan Thompson and Hugh Dathan was foiled when Lewis Ross’ shot was scrambled clear; whilst a perfectly timed header by Tony Rolls from a Ross cross grazed the crossbar. 

The home side were level within three minutes of the re-start.  Dathan won a corner by meeting a well-judged cross from Rhys Owen with an impressive volley that goalkeeper Douglas did well to save. His, effort, however, proved in vain when from the resultant corner, a power header by Chris Lucas shook the back of the net.  

Bashley continued to press but in doing so were vulnerable to the quick counter attack especially the front running of the impressive Simon Woods.  

Fareham took the lead in the seventy first minute when Curt Robbins took advantage of a stretched Bashley defence and the visitors struck again four minutes later when Callum Laycock was first to an in-swinging corner. 

During this period and until the final whistle Bashley continued to attack and, apart from a fantastic reaction save from Edgar, play was mostly in the away side’s half. Henry, Ross and Tyrrell Sampson, on for Owen, were on target but found their efforts nullified by the magnificent Douglas in the Fareham goal. 

A much closer game than the score suggests but despite Bashley entertaining supporters with spells of fast attractive football. It is scoring goals that wins games, a situation we hope will be remedied once our strikers return.  

7th August 2017 - Mike Cranidge